Full Value Moving Protection
Breathe Easier With Wheaton’s Protection Plans.
When you work with Wheaton, you’ll be working with a team that is dedicated to ensuring the safe arrival of your belongings to their destination. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good idea to consider extra protection.
Unfortunately, accidents may happen, but by making a careful decision about the protection plan you need you can help mitigate these risks. And as you consider your costs, you may also want to review Wheaton’s tariff.
What is Limited Liability Protection?
The standard coverage for your belongings is set at 60 cents per pound. In the event of damage, the claims settlement is simply based on the weight of the item. Please note, boxes you pack yourself will carry different liability coverage than boxes packed by your carrier. Your Wheaton agent can provide all the details to ensure you fully understand your coverage options and guide you to the best decision.
What is Full Replacement Value Protection (FRVP)?
For a higher level of compensation, you might consider choosing full protection. It’s a great way to protect your belongings and your move, in the event that there’s any damage to your items. Keep in mind that this isn’t insurance—instead, we place a dollar amount on your belongings, which is determined by the value you declare for them. And you choose your deductible level. Full Replacement Value Protection (FRVP) policies use a $6 per pound release value. In other words, if you decide to buy FRVP on your shipment and it gets weighed at 10,000 pounds, the default value for your belongings will be set at $60,000. If you want to increase that value, you can. But keep in mind that you must decide your valuation coverage and the level of your deductible before any of your belongings make it onto the moving van. Your local agent can provide you with a quote for the cost of your chosen valuation level, and that cost is added to the total cost of your shipment. Prior to delivery, you will need to provide payment for your shipment.
How about Items of Extraordinary Value?
If you’re moving items that are valued at more than $100 per pound—such as sterling silver, china, or special collectibles—it’s important to complete an items of extraordinary value form. This form indicates the condition of your valuables prior to your move, and both you and the driver will sign off on it. That way, should the unexpected happen and something becomes damaged, your belongings of extraordinary value are still protected.
Items of extraordinary value hold a value in excess of $100 per pound, and also items that have great financial value. You can opt to have a deductible assigned to items of extraordinary value in the event that they require replacement or repair once determined by our assessment. Your agent can also help answer any questions you have regarding the value you’ll want to assign to a specific item.
If your belongings have a value of more than $100 per pound, they are considered items of extraordinary value. Some examples include:
- Fur or fur garments
- Oriental rugs or tapestries
- Precious metals
- Rare collectible items
- Precious or semiprecious stones or gems
- Objects of art
- China sets
- Computer software programs
- Manuscripts and other rare documents
If you have belongings that meet the criteria for items of extraordinary value, they must be identified on the Items of Extraordinary Value Inventory Form.
Should I Document Inventory Upon Delivery?
You must document any missing items or damage to your belongings at the time of delivery. This is accomplished by taking inventory as soon as your items are unloaded from the truck, and should be completed with the Wheaton crew present. Taking inventory upon delivery is not only a good idea, it’s required to ensure your items are covered properly. Taking inventory at the time of delivery ensures that, if Wheaton is liable, we will provide the compensation you deserve.
We know that understanding your valuation and protection options can seem complicated, and we’re always happy to answer questions. If you’d like to learn more, please don’t hesitate to contact your local agent. Have a claim to file? Get the process started online.
- Moving and Storage Services
- Full-Service Moving and Storage
- Packing Services
- Storage Services
- Boxes & Supplies
- Moving Specialty Items
- Moving Valuation/Protection
- Moving Discount Programs
- National Association of Senior Move Managers
- National Active and Retired Federal Employees Members
- Lutheran Church Missouri Synod
- Weichert Workforce Mobility Relocation Program
- Interstate Move Benefits for Real Living Real Estate Network
- Special Moving Benefits for members of Real Estate Services Council
- Special Moving Benefits for the American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Special Moving Benefits for American Osteopathic Association
- Special Moving Benefits for NVTA
- Special Moving Benefits for Emergency Nurses Association
- Special Moving Benefits for Sigma Beta Delta
- Special Moving Benefits for the American Association of Nurse Practitioners®
- Special Moving Benefits for Gallagher Perks Personal Lines
- Special Moving Benefits for Members of the National Funeral Directors Association
- Special Moving Benefits for Members of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Interstate Moving Benefits for the Wisconsin Alumni Association
- Special Moving Benefits for Members of Gallagher Student Health
- Special Moving Benefits for Members of BetterInvesting
- Interstate Moving Benefits for the NFL Players Association
- Interstate Moving Benefits for RE/MAX® Customers
- Interstate Moving Benefits for clients of the Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Network
- Special Moving Benefits for LifePoint Health
- Interstate Moving Benefits for the New Jersey Business & Industry Association
- Special Moving Benefits for Associates Benefits Group
- Special Moving Benefits for Clients of Florida Realtors®
- Special Moving Benefits for Cruise Lines International Association
- Special Moving Benefits for Meeting Professionals International
- Special Moving Benefits for National Corvette Owners Association
- Special Moving Benefits for International Association of Police
- Special Moving Benefits for Clients of Georgia Realtors®
- Special Moving Benefits for United Commercial Travelers
- Current Customer Resources